Sunday, May 16, 2010

Little E

My initial name-writing guilt arrived one morning at the public library. We were standing in line at the children's circulation desk, waiting to get a name tag for story time. Ellie's turn comes up. The librarian looks at Ellie and asks for her name. In a minute whisper Ellie replies. Then comes the guilt inducing question.... "How do you spell that sweetie?" Obviously, this question is not directed to me. I look at the librarian incredulously and intervene with a "she doesn't know how to spell her name yet." "Oh," the librarian says. That settled it. There may be moments when I cannot even get the child to do something as pleasant as eat candy cheerfully, but I am going to get this child to write her name....even the small "e" at the end. And you know what? It wasn't even half as painful as I thought it would be. In fact, it was kind of fun.

See that smile? That's a I-just-wrote-my-name-and-I-am-so-happy-about-it-I-will-condesend-to-have-my-picture-taken smile.
Here's the close up view. Check out that lower case e. I am so impressed.

3 comments:

Brenda said...

She is such a little cutie!

BECKY said...

CUTE writing!!! And go James... I'll make sure to keep all my body parts out of his way. :)

Aloha_Misty said...

Tell Little Ellie that she is AMAZING!